We say, "Kids will be kids," but why is it ever acceptable for siblings, close friends or any child to say hurtful things to or about another? When will that need to "get a rise" or attempt to mar the character of another cease to exist? When will we stop wanting to elevate ourselves by tearing another person down?
A beautiful friend recently shared how she was the subject of gossip and hurtful comments. "She can't be that nice," one woman commented to everyone else in the group. That information made its way back to my friend. I couldn't help but wonder if anyone at that gathering said, "Yes, she is that nice." And what about the person who made the comment, what does she say to her own children when they are being critical of another?
It is apparent that our society grooms children for competition rather than cooperation. Every child wants to be at the top of their class or the best on their team...the most valuable player or the most popular person. But what about the person who works the hardest, who stuggles, but keeps at it? Is the smartest person the one with a photographic memory or the one who thinks creatively? Why do we need labels? Why can't we embrace our uniqueness and treat others with respect and kindness? Why can't we be who we are and allow others that same freedom. Why can't we love ourselves and see the goodness that exists in all others?
Those "kids being kids" grow into adults. It is our responsiblity to teach our children how to relate well with others. "World peace begins at home," I once read.
Here is a list of "Life Rules" that's posted on my daughter's bedroom wall. We came up with this list together.
1. Be Respectful- Treat everyone the way you would like to be treated.
2. Be Kind- If you put kindness out into the world, it will come back to you.
3. Be Happy With Who You Are- Comparing yourself to others says you are not happy with yourself.
4. Be Grateful- When things don't seem to be going your way, stop for a moment and think of one thing or person you are grateful for.
5. Pay close attention to what you are being taught- Learning grows your mind so that you can blossom into everything you can be.
6. Choose to be Happy- We get sad sometimes, which is okay. It's good to cry when we're sad. But we can decide not to stay sad forever. Always turn to someone who loves you when you can't stop being sad.
7. Choose Peace- You can't control what people say about you. But you can decide not to let them take away your peace that comes from inside of you. Take a deep breath when someone says something that's upsetting.
8. Love Yourself- You are a beautiful child of God. God does not make mistakes. Love yourself and you will attract loving people to you.
9. Pray every day.
Love and blessings,